The workers’ comp lawyers in Morton, PA, at Schuster Law invite you to learn more about the area’s history.
Morton is a borough situated in the eastern section of Delaware County in the state of Pennsylvania. Springfield Township is across its north, east, and western boundaries. The Ridley Township communities Rutledge and Wyndom are to the south of the town. South Morton Avenue travels through the town along with Kendron Avenue, or Pennsylvania Route 420. The 230.4-acre neighborhood is 3.9 miles to the east of Media.
The borough was named after John Morton’s son, Sketchley Morton. John Morton was one of the founding fathers of the United States and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. He was born in Ridley Township in 1725. His father was born in Finland and came to America during the Swedish colonization in 1654. His father died before he was born, and his mother remarried John Sketchley when he was eight. He named his son after his step-father, and in 1776, the town became part of the Ridley and Springfield Townships.
In 1880, Joseph Wilson built the Morton Train Station that is currently used on the SEPTA Regional Rail Media/Elwyn Line. Wilson was part of the Wilson Brothers architectural firm, Victorian-era architecture and engineering firm that was founded in Philadelphia. The brothers were well known for their works on bridges, churches, railroad stations, and so much more. The train stop served the Pennsylvania Railroad West Chester line.
In 1947, the area was home to the Piasecki Helicopter Corporation. The helicopter manufacturer and designing company was founded by Frank Piasecki, who later formed Piasecki Aircraft. The company constructed Piasecki H-21 and the Piasecki HUP-1 at the factory. Boeing incorporated the company in 1854 before it moved out of the town. The original building currently serves as the location for BJ’s Wholesale, and the original control tower still stands in one corner.
Located on Broad Street is the First Baptist Church of Morton, established over 132 years ago. The original wooden church was constructed in 1908, and later the stone structure was added. Women would carry the bricks to the construction site in their aprons. It was founded by Germantown residents that would first be gathered in a home of one of the members. The church’s first organist, Theresa Jordan, purchased the congregation’s first organ from her own money.
According to the 2010 census, the area’s population was 2,669. This was a decrease of 1.7% from 2000, after a decrease of 4.8% from 1990 to 2000. The racial makeup of the residents was the following:
- 65.1% white
- 25.4% African American
- 2.2% Hispanic or Latino
- 0.3% Native American
- 6.0% Asian
- 0.6% other races
- 2.7% two or more races
The median household earnings were $46,731, and for a family, it was $64,271. The occupational breakdown of the employed townspeople was:
- 11.34% office and administrative support roles
- 10.30% service and sales professions
- 8.60% executive and management positions
To learn more about the community: The History of Clifton Heights, PA
Our Local Office
The Morton, PA, workers’ comp lawyers at Schuster Law are committed to seeking justice for injured workers. Our experienced legal team is here to help you understand your legal rights; call today for a free no-obligation case review.
334 W Front St,
Media, PA 19063, USA